Monday, February 11, 2013

Only a Month

One of my coworkers is also a military spouse and her husband recently left for the California desert to spend a month at the National Training Center to prepare for an upcoming deployment.

That's a common operating rhythm in military life - a month of training followed by a deployment.

A day after he left, I asked her how she was doing. She replied, "it's only a month."


There aren't many professions in which a month is just a drop in the bucket.

For most folks, a monthlong separation from their spouses would be a BIG DEAL. There would likely be angst and tears. And there are for military spouses, but we press on.

I've heard civilians say, "you know what you signed up for."

But does that make it any easier? If you know you're getting a root canal, are you OK with it because you had advanced notice?

You'll likely face apprehension and dread before the root canal. As you're on the table, you might face unforeseen fears. The healing process might be longer and more painful than you anticipated.

Yes, the month is relatively easy in comparison with 9 months, 12 months, 15 months. But it starts another rhythm of military life: letting go.

Spouses watch as soldiers put on their game faces and begin to detach from the comforts of home as they gear up to fight. Soldiers, as much as they don't want to say goodbye, are eager to go to theater. (Hardly a matinee showing!)

Now that we've hit the halfway mark, I find myself daydreaming about his homecoming like a schoolgirl. When we video chat, I can see my face with a big goofy grin and wide eyes as I stare at my soldier, mesmerized. It sustains me and I think I can make it.

After all, it's only four more months.

No comments:

Post a Comment