Friday, February 1, 2013

Less is 'More'

I love having short hair. It's so easy to take care of. It feels light, carefree. It makes my cheekbones stand out and gives me an instant facelift.

But my husband has never been much of a fan.

So when he deployed, I decided I would go short. A lot of military spouses do this - make a change while their soldiers are away. I've heard it reffered to as "deployment hair."

Eager to ditch my blah bob for something (dare I say?) sassy (I dare), I booked my appointment. Come the end of my big chop, I looked in the mirror and realized it did look sassy... for a 55 year old.


I forced a smile, said it looked great and walked out with my matronly mop.

My deployment hair reminded me of a friend of mine's mother. She is a lovely woman, but she's my friend's mother! I wanted to look like someone from my generation... not Dorothy Hamill.
Hi, I'm Dorothy Hamill.

At worst my deployment hair made me look like someone 15 years my senior, at best it made me look like someone trapped in time 25 years ago.

I remembered back to my younger days. When I was 10, I read Teen magazine. When I was 13, I read Seventeen. When I was 17, it was Cosmo. I was always eager to be older, to know more, do more, be more.

Now the thought of turning to More magazine makes me shudder.

I no longer want to speed up time. I want to slow it down, savor it, make it last.

After three months, I finally asked my husband what he thought of my hair. He said, 'I can't see it very well.'

WE WERE ON VIDEO CHAT.

Bless his heart.

As much as I would like to speed up time for his return, I also want to slow it down, not just to savior each moment, but also so that I can have cute "redeployment hair." (For non-military folks, redeployment means when soldiers return, not when they deploy again, as etymology would suggest.) When he does return, I hope he'll think I look great no matter what length my hair is. But I'll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I sure could use some age-appropriate reading material.Any magazine recommendations, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. From Adriana: magazine: my FAV - doscovered during a trip to France! Regal - french cooking magazine super easy recipes. When in doubt use Google Translate to elp ya' - Go to: uni-presse.fr:

    http://www.unipresse.com/?id=8260&id_pays=421&page=2

    ReplyDelete