Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Why Fight It?

This morning whilst on a walk with a friend, I found myself griping about finances and budgeting. After I got home, I started thinking about my petty complaints and realized I sounded quite Scrooge-y. I felt bad and reached for my cell phone. I was going to text "I didn't mean to sound bitchy and cheap..." Then I stopped myself.


In the story of my life, I want to be the good guy. When I catch myself being less than heroic, I try to explain it away. I haven't done this because x, y, z. Or I did this because a, b, c. I search for valid reasons to make some of my less-than-savory actions more palatable, more understandable, more sympathetic... just like you'd want in your protagonist. But this morning the truth hit me: I am cheap. Why fight it?

Isn't it time I embrace this truth? Sure, I can pretty it up with words like "frugal" and "discerning," which I do, but "miserly" and "cheap" is closer to the mark. (Just ask my husband). Why do these have to be bad words? Why do I have to feel bad about being cheap?

Today I am going to be proud of who I am. I will shout it from the rooftops: I AM CHEAP! One of my favorite necklaces cost me $2 at a street fair. I bought 3... That was 7 years ago and I still get compliments on them. I spent a year agonizing over buying two pink flamingos for my lawn. They were $2 apiece. I finally caved and they've brought me joy daily ever since. I haven't upgraded my cell phone since 2006 because I refuse to get locked into a contract. I FEEL SO FREE!

How about you? What hideous character trait can you embrace today?




No comments:

Post a Comment