Friday, July 27, 2012

Right Up My Alley

Perhaps my very favorite attraction in Lucas is the World's Largest Collection of the World's Smallest Versions of the World's Largest Things (or WLCWSVWLT for short). It took me a few moments to wrap my brain around it, but once I did the museum made perfect sense to me.

You see, the "why not?" spirit that kicks off many of my travels, and indeed kicked off this whole week of looking at Lucas, has taken me to many roadside attractions around the US. I love finding superlatives in my travels and clearly here was a kindred spirit. Not only does the artist like visiting big things, she likes rendering them in tiny formats and then displaying them en masse... in a painted bus, no less!
As you can see it was a sunny day, which made snapping a photo through the window with all the glare difficult, but I wanted to capture a grouping of the WSV. This close up does a better job of showing some individual pieces. (Total height? I'm guessing about 2 inches.)




Sadly the artist was not at home when I visited, but thankfully the bus was. (Sometimes she takes the exhibit on the road.) As you can see, she is kind enough to keep part of the exhibit open for viewing in some of the windows. In addition to the bus, there were two other gems on her property:
I want to make "genericana" part of my lexicon!









And that, my friends, was a surprising and delightful day in Lucas, KS!

No comments:

Post a Comment