Monday, March 12, 2012

Muzzlelovers

I love finding quirky, offbeat attractions and activities. Vacations with me can feel like a scavenger hunt as I circle roads looking for Carhenges and giant balls of twine. Alas, time and funds are not always available for leisurely road trips. That's why when a gem of an activity pops up close to home, I must pounce.

My beloved husband tolerates this about me and plays along. Imagine my surprise when one grey day this February, he proposed an adventure of his own.



But first, some back story. We used to live in New York city, the largest TV market in the US. Now we live near Topeka, the 133rd largest market. One of our favorite things about the local news in our new market is how producers milk their B roll for all its worth. Many a segment includes multiple shots taken from different angles of the same 5-6 people. These attempts to make an event appear well attended and news worthy often have the opposite effect.

On this particular grey day, my husband noticed a segment about the Kansas Muzzleloading Association's convention. Being somewhat of a history buff as well as the owner of a muzzleloader himself, my husband was intrigued. He pitched the event as our Saturday activity and I was game.

This is what we saw.

First, we were greeted by Arny the Famous Armadillo. In case there was any confusion about what we were looking at, Arny was clearly labeled. But I had done my homework and knew exactly who Arny was, a fact that impressed the registration folks immensely. Here is Arny with his brood.




As we strolled through the marketplace, which was open to the public for a small entry fee, we were delighted by all manner of historical tchotchkes. Here is a selection of my favorites.

Prince Albert in a can... ah, memories of prank phone calls.

Ugly bags were conveniently available in both His and Hers.


I can never seem to find feet in my size.

And lastly, marketing to the youngsters... What gun-centric event would be complete without Davey Crickett's My First Rifle?

What really made this event truly magical was the people. They are folks of the modern age with one foot in a bygone era. Imagine coonskin caps meeting Angry Birds t-shirts. Better yet, just check out the kid at right.

For many people, their handmade costumes were a point of pride. I was shy about asking to take people's photos, but was assured that most folks there considered it a compliment. Most of the costumes were handmade and were lovingly and painstakingly put together.

On the whole, the people were warm and welcoming. One particular couple was extremely helpful as I picked out a birthday gift for my mother from their shop. When I asked to take a photo of their coordinated outfits, they were truly flattered. Perhaps in the muzzleloading world they are a dime-a-dozen. But to me, they were something special.

Thanks, Kansas Muzzloading Association, for brightening that overcast February day!

No comments:

Post a Comment