Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hardly Rockin' My Resolutions


It’s a week into the New Year and I’ve already forgotten what my resolutions were. Nevermind neglecting them, I can’t even remember what they are.
Last night I woke up with a start because I need to get my car title changed and registered in a new state.
The night before that, I woke up lambasting myself for the fact that in September I vowed to recover some dining room chairs – what should have been a simple weekend project – and they are still sitting in the dining room, their old covering taunting me. One Franken-chair sits pulled apart, which I did back in September so that I could see its inner working and determine what supplies I’d need. My new tactic is simply to avoid the dining room. Dinners on the couch, anyone?
Each morning I wake and give myself a pep talk about eating healthier and losing weight. But by the afternoon, I find myself grazing on leftover holiday treats. How long do cookies keep?
I know I’m supposed to call them goals instead of resolutions and make them SMART – specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound. I know I’m supposed to make a plan – otherwise they are just dreams and not goals.
Yet the dog needs bathing; I have a prescription refill that’s been waiting five days for me to pick it up; I need to update my calendar; the trash needs to go out; my Christmas presents need to be put away.
With all these things to keep track of, who can remember the big picture like realigning one’s time around personal priorities and finding balance?
Ah, yes! That’s what my resolution was! Prioritize and balance.
I’ll have to add it to my To Do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment